Thursday, July 10, 2014

Is a Bicycle a Vehicle

One of my favorite forms of exercise is cycling. Yesterday, for example, I biked about 15 miles. On my way home, I got a phone call from a friend and I decided to answer it. Moments later, I was startled by a cop who pulled up next to me and yelled at me to get off the phone, threatening me with a $100 ticket. I understand that talking on the phone while riding a bike is a bit dangerous and not a good idea, but is it illegal?

I went home and researched Illinois laws a bit, and it actually seems vague. The law bans cell phone usage while operating a vehicle. But is a bicycle a vehicle or a transport? Here's what I ultimately found:

Land Vehicle:

Motorized

– Trucks, Cars, Tractors, etc. (This can be broken down further)
– Motorcycles
– Motorized Bicycles, mopeds (>1,000 watt, 20-30 mph, <2 div="" horsepower="">

Non-Motorized

– Bicycles, Tricycles, Unicycles,etc.
– Electric Assist Bicycle (Sub-1,000 watt, sub-20 mph)

Pedestrian Conveyance

– Skateboards
– Rollerblades
– Scooters

(Link)

1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete