Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What's the difference between a bar and a restaurant?


As a musician, I am often asked to perform at bars and restaurants. Generally, I prefer restaurants over bars. Bars are usually too loud and push alcohol too much for my taste. But most restaurants sell alcohol these days, so I've sometimes felt that the line between bars and restaurants is blurred.

I've found that there is one easy way to tell the difference between bars and restaurants. Kids are welcomed and are usually present at restaurants, even restaurants that might happen to sell alcohol, because the focus is not on the alcohol. At bars, however, kids are not usually welcome, and seeing a kid at a bar is very rare. Of course, at bars the focus tends to be on alcohol while restaurants tend to focus on food and family atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment