Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleep Tips

1) Eat fresh greens before bed.
 

Raw greens such as celery, cucumber, green pepper and spinach are rich in chlorophyll, the green pigment in plants. "Chlorophyll is said to contain an opium-related substance, a natural sleep aid, along with traces of the anti-cramping agent hyoscyarnin" (link). In addition to being rich in chlorophyll, raw green vegetables contain potassium, magnesium and calcium - all of which are very beneficial in helping a person relax (link). 

If you have trouble digesting raw greens, consider juicing your greens.

2) Avoid Insomnia Inducing Foods, especially before bed.


These foods can increase insomnia: 

Refined/Processed sugars
Soda
Caffeine (Coffee, tea, chocolate) (Link)
Alcohol (Link)
Stimulant drugs
Additives
Preservatives
Processed foods

3) Margin!
Ironically, it is those of us with the busiest schedules who often suffer from insomnia. In fact, an overactive mind (which can lead to insomnia) is often directly associated with an overactive schedule. Yet as a book needs margin on its pages, we all need margin in our lives.  This means taking off of work and resting for at least one day every week. In many religions, this is called a "Sabbath".  

While a weekly Sabbath is essential, so is a daily Sabbath. Allowing yourself a couple of commitment-free hours every day will likely make you more productive at work, knowing that you will have time later to catch up on some much needed rest (or sleep). Some ways to spend this time might include taking a walk outside, taking a nap, meditating, or simply relaxing in a peaceful environment. "If you practice every day, [meditation] will become easier, and you're likely to find that you look forward to these respites from your busy life. You're also likely to discover that sleep comes much more easily to a quiet, relaxed mind." Link 

Taking time to unwind before bed is also helpful. Imagine a train or a car slamming on the breaks every time it tries to stop, rather than slowing down gradually. This would cause damage after a short time. Similarly, if we transition from work to sleep without any relaxation or "margin", this makes falling asleep more difficult.

4) Take a Magnesium Supplement Before Bed 

"Magnesium helps the body relax. This nutrient reduces stress and helps you sleep longer. In contrast, melatonin helps you get to sleep faster. Both magnesium and melatonin can be  used to treat insomnia, sometimes even in combination" (Link).

5) If you can't sleep, at least rest 

"Rest does not mean simply plonking yourself on the sofa in front of the TV...Although this downtime does allow for a degree of cellular renewal, the brain will still be buzzing...What we need is 'active' rest - this can make you more alert and effective, reduce stress levels and give you a better chance of a healthier and longer life." Link

6) Consider Herbal Supplements:  
Many have found that different herbal supplements or homeopathic remedies can help in the process of falling asleep. Below are a few of the more popular ones. For a larger list, click here.

Rescue Remedy Sleep Aid


    Hyland's Calm Forte

Kava Kava

Chamomile
Melatonin

7)  Go to Bed as early as possible
 "Prior to the widespread use of electricity, people would go to bed shortly after sundown, as most animals do, and which nature intended for humans as well." Link

8) Daily Exercise (but not before bed)
"People who regularly exercise report having fewer episodes of sleeplessness than people who don't exercise" (Link). However, "Exercising vigorously right before bed or within about three hours of your bedtime can actually make it harder to fall asleep" (link).

9) Nap to make up for lost sleep 

If you find it impossible to "squeeze in" a nap after a night of little sleep, you may need to look at your schedule and see where you can add more margin. Again, it is often those who most need to take naps have the least time for it. Even if you can't fall asleep during a nap, setting aside this time of rest helps your body recharge. "Falling into a light sleep during the daytime can feel meditative...In order to fully enjoy the benefits of napping, you may need to give yourself permission to nap"  (Link)

10) If You Still Can't Sleep, Quit All Coffee (or limit to one cup a day)

Quitting all coffee, including your morning cup, may seem extreme. However, as the old saying goes, "Desperate times call for desperate measures." For some people, even one morning cup of coffee may trigger daily anxiety and evening insomnia.

According to Web MD, "After eight to 10 hours [of drinking coffee], 75% of the caffeine is gone [from your body]. For most people, a cup of coffee or two in the morning won't interfere with sleep at night." However, they also warn that, "People who are more sensitive may not only experience insomnia but also have caffeine side effects of nervousness and gastrointestinal upset" (Link).  

A study published in 2007 found that 52 per cent of panic-disorder patients suffered a panic attack after drinking caffeinated coffee. Conversely, the panic-disorder patients drinking decaf did not suffer panic attacks (Link).

Water, juice and smoothies are great alternatives to coffee. For those who can't seem to quit caffeine altogether, green tea may be a good alternative. Green tea has less caffeine than coffee and contains theanine, which helps promote sleep (Link). This study proves the incredible relaxing effects of theanine.

11) Take a vegan Digestive Enzyme 

Vegan digestive enzymes are extremely affordable and very effective. But what do they do? Basically, when we cook our food, we destroy most of the naturally occurring enzymes that help us digest our food. Without these enzymes, the body struggles to digest food, making sleep more difficult. I recommend finding vegan digestive enzymes, because non-vegan enzymes contain animal bile, which can cause an upset stomach in some people. 

"Enzymes help us sleep. Enzymes enhance our endocrine glands. The under nourished endocrine system may create a malfunction in our hormonal system which can upset our nervous system and sleep patterns. When we are unable to digest our food or deliver the nutrients to keep our endocrine and nervous system in balance, we cannot rebuild our body or it's energy level" (Link).

12) Redirecting negative thoughts by Talking through them or Journaling  
"If you have a nightmare or stress-inducing thoughts, focus on a different ending. Write down your nightmare, or tell someone else about it to stop the continual thoughts." Link

13) Regular Sleep and Wake Times 
"A regular waking time in the morning strengthens the circadian function and can help with sleep onset at night." Link 

"Dr. Axe" Talks about Sleep...

For some natural stress reducing tips, click HERE
Check out my related article, "Foods for Sleep" HERE!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree! I've used Hyland's Nerve Tonic. Great stuff!

      Delete
  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes & yes many cancers & like diseases like HIV/AIDS, HSV/HERPES, and many organ related diseases are cured this days with herbal remedies & more herbal treatments are being discovered all the time. More anticancer & antiviral herbal drugs are in clinical trials this days than ever before and promising herbalist like Dr Utu all thanks to him. I do hear of many people he has helped cured their diseases using African natural Herbs & Roots. I'm Paul G. From Australia a father of four which include 3 girls and a boy. My boss is more than a father to me, he assist my family even financially. He completely lost himself when he was diagnosed of kidney stone & to make matter worst he started noticing his first outbreak. Ever since his kidney stone issues, he keep having herpes outbreak on any little fever. He's my boss and the only way I can pay him is to help his situation. At first I doubted Dr Utu, but in a case of life & death as this am left with only a choice. I contacted Dr Utu to give him a try. He sent herbal meds to my boss that completely flushed out the stone in his kidney. He completely cured my boss of kidney stone and herpes virus using African herbs. I also prescribed this herbal cure for a colleague with HIV and he was completely cured. Dr Utu is health future. Through me Dr Utu have completely cured; herpes, hiv, cancers, kidney stone. I think it pays to be good because you never know who might pay you back in future. So my knowledge on this is what I share. For the sick, trying herbal meds will tell you the different. Reach Dr Utu on his email; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes & yes many cancers & like diseases like HIV/AIDS, HSV/HERPES, and many organ related diseases are cured this days with herbal remedies & more herbal treatments are being discovered all the time. More anticancer & antiviral herbal drugs are in clinical trials this days than ever before and promising herbalist like Dr Utu all thanks to him. I do hear of many people he has helped cured their diseases using African natural Herbs & Roots. I'm Paul G. From Australia a father of four which include 3 girls and a boy. My boss is more than a father to me, he assist my family even financially. He completely lost himself when he was diagnosed of kidney stone & to make matter worst he started noticing his first outbreak. Ever since his kidney stone issues, he keep having herpes outbreak on any little fever. He's my boss and the only way I can pay him is to help his situation. At first I doubted Dr Utu, but in a case of life & death as this am left with only a choice. I contacted Dr Utu to give him a try. He sent herbal meds to my boss that completely flushed out the stone in his kidney. He completely cured my boss of kidney stone and herpes virus using African herbs. I also prescribed this herbal cure for a colleague with HIV and he was completely cured. Dr Utu is health future. Through me Dr Utu have completely cured; herpes, hiv, cancers, kidney stone. I think it pays to be good because you never know who might pay you back in future. So my knowledge on this is what I share. For the sick, trying herbal meds will tell you the different. Reach Dr Utu on his email; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete