Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pig Minds Review, Rockford IL

This is a short review of Pig Minds vegan restaurant and micro brewery in Rockford, IL, about 75 miles west of Chicago.
Upon arriving, I ordered their nachos, Margarita pizza and a vanilla house-brewed beer.
The beer was good, though I would have preferred a slightly bigger glass and slightly more vanilla flavor. As we were drinking, the nachos came out.

I must say that the nachos were my favorite part about the meal. At about $9, they were huge and overflowing with vegan "meat", vegan sour cream, jalapeƱos, guacamole and more. It was a great feeling to dive head first into this mountain of nachos without the typical greasy, guilty feeling that sometimes follows a non-vegan nacho binge.

Next came the pizza, which I hardly had room for after the amazing nachos. I was able to finish half of it, and definitely enjoyed it. While it tasted great,  it didn't have much vegan cheese - only a slight drizzle of some liquid "cheese". I recommend they start incorporating the ever-popular Daiya vegan cheese into their pizzas. Also, the crust was a bit too thin for me, as I grew up on deep dish Chicago pizza. Don't get me wrong, the pizza was tasty, and the herbs and spices were especially well chosen. However, after finishing the mountain of nachos, I just expected a bit more out of the pizza than a thin crust with no significant vegan cheese.

Overall it was a great experience, and I highly recommend the nachos and the micro brewery experience. The pizza is also pretty good, and this is a good place to take someone who thinks that all vegan food is boring.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment