Monday, December 26, 2011

Obese Christians


A recent study finds that "Young adults who frequently attend religious activities are 50 percent more likely to become obese by middle age" (Link). Obesity is linked with heart disease and diabetes, both of which can be fatal. In fact, obesity causes as many as one out of every ten deaths (Link).

I find it ironic that many Christians who are obese also claim to be pro life. But how can you be pro life when you follow and promote a diet that leads to disease and death? By eating healthy, we choose life over death by avoiding obesity. "Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live" (Deuteronomy 30:19)!

I think that obesity is often justified by Christians who misinterpret the following Bible verses:

"What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.” (words of Jesus) - Matthew 15:11

Myth:  Here Jesus is clearly saying that diet has no effect on a Christian's health. Therefore a diet rich in deep-fried Twinkies, triple Whoppers, Diet Mountain Dew and even hallucinogenic mushrooms is perfectly healthy for Christians. In fact, the faithful can even expect perfect abs and a stunning physique when eating unhealthy.

The Truth: Here Jesus is saying that food is for our physical health, not our spiritual salvation. Taken in context, this comment by Jesus was a response to those enforcing ceremonial hand washing rituals. These "moral police" were more concerned with ritualistic ceremonies than a loving attitude. That being said, Jesus was not promoting a destructive, gluttonous diet filled with chemicals, preservatives and drugs. It is still wise to "eat for strength and not for drunkenness" (Ecclesiastes 10:17).

"They will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.” - Mark 16:18

Myth: If Christians can drink poison and handle snakes, we can definitely handle McDonald's and Burger King every day. We also do not have to worry about cancer-causing chemicals such as sodium nitrate, benzoic acid, aspartame or MSG. In fact, chemicals found in cigarettes have been proven to cause cancer (Link) do not affect Christians at all.

The Truth:  Some churches in the U.S. have taken up "snake handling" in their services. This often results in death (Link). Unfortunately, far more Christians have died early deaths because of unhealthy eating. Like the snake handlers, many Christians expect that God will simply make up for unhealthy living, even though Jesus said to never test God (Luke 4:12)! "They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite" (Philippians 3:19).

_______________________________

"Do not be with heavy drinkers of wine, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; For the heavy drinker and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe one with rags." 
- Proberbs 23:20-21 (NASB)
___________________________

Still not convinced about what the Bible has to say about food? Check out my other post, "The Ten Commandments on Eating."

2 comments:

  1. With bistroMD you know that you will not only eat tasty entrees, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss program is balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform to help promote an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the weight loss plans for 5 or 7 days of entrees.
    STEP 2 - Take a look at your menu in advance and pick the entrees you would like for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your weight loss plan.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your home.

    GET STARTED NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to write a little review about the good work of Herbal Dr Wilson, who cured me from HSV 1&2 within 2 weeks of using his herbal medicine, I never believe I could be cured again and have a good life like others, I have always regretted the day I got diagnose with this virus, I become lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it, Well I am so grateful for my helper Dr Wilson, whom got me cured with his herbal medicine, I went online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found Dr Wilson email drwilsonherbs@gmail.com on a blog of someone who was cured by him, of the same herpes virus, so I quickly contacted him for help and explained all my pains to him, he told me not to worry about it there is a cure for real, I never believe until he sent me the herbal supplements when I ordered for it and I got it within 4 working days through FedEx, that is how I took the medicine for 2 weeks and the following week I went for a test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life, I am so happy right now, and forever indebted to you sir,
    You can also get in contact with Dr Wilson if you have such virus or some other such as Hv, Herpes, Cancer, Leukaemia, Diabetes, Fibroid etc through his contact info Email:: drwilsonherbs@gmail.com  WhatsApp/Call: +2348136219493 
    Find more about Dr Wilson at his His website: https://drwilsonherbalcure.weebly.com/ 
    Or direct message me on my primary email stephanierick72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete