Monday, December 10, 2012

Humane Eggs?

I usually try to follow a "Raw until 4" diet - meaning I don't eat any cooked foods or animal products at least until dinner. However, this morning I was really craving some free range eggs, cooked sunny side up. I think it's important to listen to your body, as it often tells you what you may be deficient in. Since I believe in the importance of being flexible, I enjoyed some eggs with my breakfast today.

It has been proven that if chickens are treated humanely, their eggs are much healthier. I always try and buy certified humane free range eggs, or local free range eggs. Humanely raised hens have full access to the outdoors, and do not have their beaks cut off, etc. Ideally, roosters also shouldn't be viewed as burdens, but rather as companions and protectors of hens. Some people are of the misconception that fertilized eggs all eventually hatch. This is not at all the case, as modern hens usually don't sit on their eggs (Link). It should be noted that fertilized eggs have been eaten and enjoyed throughout history.

Ideally I'd like to be "off" all animal products (vegan), as I believe that's possibly the healthiest approach for me (as followed by healthy long-term raw vegans such as Jay Kordich, Karen Calabrese, Lou Corona, Markus Rothkranz, Brian Clement, Gabriel Cousens, etc.). I also notice that I crave eggs less when I am consuming a vegan protein powder in the morning. I've been out of vegan protein powder lately, and plan on purchasing some on my way home from work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment