Sunday, October 7, 2018

How to Stop Arguing - 8 Tips

The below article is a guest post by Caleb Kruse, author of one of the most popular books about arguing! If you like the article below, be sure to check out Caleb's new book "Stop Arguing" on Amazon by clicking HERE.

Arguing Tip #1. Focus on the positive.

One thing about life is that it gets us to focus on a lot of the negative. If we aren’t noticing the threats, we are more likely to fall prey to them unsuspectingly. So, we form keen eyes for spotting them, and for noticing all of the negative. But, somewhere along the way, it seems we lose our ability to notice life’s good. And unfortunately, this hurts us, because noticing the good is one of those things that could dramatically restore our lives and our relationships.

Tony Robins says that “where focus goes, energy flows.” George Lucas once said that “our focus determines our realities.” If this is true, our realities can be greatly enhanced, simply by enhancing the quality of things that we focus on. No doubt, this can help us in those moments when we are ready to duke it out, and we can’t even see how a moment is worth saving.

Arguing Tip #2. Write It Out.

When we sense that an argument is impending, it can seem like we have passed the point of no return. Many of us throw up our hands in surrender, letting out words we’ve held back, and doing destructive things that we regret later. However, there is an answer, even when there doesn’t seem to be. We can write out what we’re feeling.

A lot of times, simply taking a reflective pause is one of the best things we can do. If you’re in one of those scenarios and it starts to feel like you’re sliding down a slippery slope, simply give it a rest and grab yourself a pen. Write down your thoughts on a pad of paper.

When we write down what we’re feeling, we accomplish a few goals at once. One, we put into words what we want to say. Two, we avoid the risks of giving offensive looks or body language. Three, we increase the chances of saying what we mean. Four, we give ourselves the chance to be more familiar with our own thoughts before sharing them. There are many more reasons why we should write down our feelings. These are just a few.

Arguing Tip #3. Negotiate.

When we find ourselves running into a dead-end of disagreement, we might be able to negotiate with one another to reach a compromise. Maybe your husband will never agree that your next car should be a minivan. It might not even be worth your time trying to persuade him. However, you might have some good bargaining chips up your sleeve.

Maybe, if he agrees to let you have your minivan, you can agree to let him choose where you all go on you next summer vacation. No, you might not be too thrilled about spending two weeks with his parents in Minnesota, but maybe it’s worth it if it gets you something that you want. If you give your situation a little mental energy, you may be able to avoid arguing by negotiating with people instead.

Arguing Tip #4. Change the subject.

The use of distraction can be a helpful tool, especially when used in a proper, healthy way. When we sense that a conversation is becoming unproductive, we need more than a simple desire to switch subjects. We need alternative subjects to switch to.

This is something we can (and should) do now, before we even risk running into potential disagreements. Before getting there, take some time to think of some topics that you can switch to, like traveling, eating out, or trying something new. Have some prearranged conversations ready, so that, when the conversation starts to head south, you have a better direction to head it in. Sometimes nothing works better at changing our minds and our moods than changing the topic of our discussion.

Arguing Tip #5. Opt for silence.

Silence, as they say, is golden. When things quiet down we can hear ourselves think. We find answers that we weren’t aware of in the hustle and bustle of our daily, noisy lives. Sometimes, simply stepping away from a heated conversation can be the best thing for all involved.

If you’re in an argument, or if you sense one forming, you might want to state your desire for some silence. The person you’re arguing with may gladly oblige. Maybe you both feel the need to regroup your thoughts.

Be careful however, not to use silence as a weapon. There is a difference between being silent and giving someone the “silent treatment.” One is productive. The other is provoking. If you do choose silence, be sure that it is agreed upon, or you’ll only start a fight by attempting to avoid one, which would defeat the whole purpose. Simply state your request in a calm, kind way, and you’ll be more likely to get it.

Also, you may want to determine when the conversation will resume, so that you both know that the silence isn’t just a way of sweeping unpleasant matters under the rug.

Arguing Tip #6. Opt for solitude.

Sometimes we just need a little “alone time.” We can just be ourselves, without the pressures of feeling like we have to do anything or be any certain way for anyone. We also can get that silence that we talked about earlier, which can help us regroup our thoughts.

It’s okay to step away from a conversation that is becoming unproductive. Especially if one or more people involved are starting to get mean or insulting. No one should have to stay in a room with someone who is being disrespectful.

And again, this too should be handled with care, as our wishes for solitude can appear avoidant or dodgy. If we’re not careful in how we ask for it, we may actually cause more problems than we are trying to solve. But, if we can successfully convey to the person we’re talking to that we have good intentions, and that our desire for solitude isn’t just an attempt to escape, it is far more likely to be a solution than a problem.

Arguing Tip #7. Flip a coin.

In the event that you can’t agree, you may also decide to leave your disagreement in the hands of chance. You want a Volvo. She wants a Volkswagen. You’ve debated for hours about which is safer, more dependable, and better performing. Neither of you has made any ground with the other. What now?

Well, you can pull that shiny nickel out of your pocket, and call heads or tails. That is, if both of you agree to abide by the outcome. This is a lot like agreeing to disagree, only it lets fate pick the outcome for you, rather than either one of you being the decider yourselves.

Arguing Tip #8. Plan for normalcy.

We know that quality time isn’t always easy to come by. In fact, the more we yearn for it, the more touchy and defensive we become towards anything that might interfere with it… including each other. We long for quality time most when we’re exhausted and worn out, especially when relational tension is the cause. Of course, this puts a sense of pressure on us to relax and have fun. We can’t afford errors when quality time is so scarce and precious.

But, this actually increases our odds for arguing. Because, as we make plans that are grand enough to meet our expectations, we forget to factor in the normal aspects of life, like the occasional glasses of spilled milk or the unpredicted rain. And, because we aren’t expecting these things, they are all the more unwelcome when they come.

Most unwelcome of all, are those high-tension talks that pop up with your spouse from out of nowhere, regarding finances, big decisions, or that wrong turn you made four miles back. Such unwanted stress hits us harder than ever when we aren’t prepared for it.

The moral to the story is that we should learn to create more accurate expectations. Let’s remember to factor in the high probability that normal life will occur on even the best days. This way, when normal life does occur, it will not seem so out of place and threatening.

For more on the subject of argument prevention, click HERE!.

5 comments:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes & yes many cancers & like diseases like HIV/AIDS, HSV/HERPES, and many organ related diseases are cured this days with herbal remedies & more herbal treatments are being discovered all the time. More anticancer & antiviral herbal drugs are in clinical trials this days than ever before and promising herbalist like Dr Utu all thanks to him. I do hear of many people he has helped cured their diseases using African natural Herbs & Roots. I'm Paul G. From Australia a father of four which include 3 girls and a boy. My boss is more than a father to me, he assist my family even financially. He completely lost himself when he was diagnosed of kidney stone & to make matter worst he started noticing his first outbreak. Ever since his kidney stone issues, he keep having herpes outbreak on any little fever. He's my boss and the only way I can pay him is to help his situation. At first I doubted Dr Utu, but in a case of life & death as this am left with only a choice. I contacted Dr Utu to give him a try. He sent herbal meds to my boss that completely flushed out the stone in his kidney. He completely cured my boss of kidney stone and herpes virus using African herbs. I also prescribed this herbal cure for a colleague with HIV and he was completely cured. Dr Utu is health future. Through me Dr Utu have completely cured; herpes, hiv, cancers, kidney stone. I think it pays to be good because you never know who might pay you back in future. So my knowledge on this is what I share. For the sick, trying herbal meds will tell you the different. Reach Dr Utu on his email; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. It took almost one year for my first real outbreak but it was the hardest thing in the world to get along with. I felt so unwanted and dirty. I tried many formulas, suggestions, methods to get rid of it permanently. Booked appointment with many doctors, professionals, even religiously until I started getting away spiritually and still it won't go. The worst is my outbreaks occurs within short period and take as long as even weeks to go away. I was at last placed on antiviral treatment which is a good treatment but for how long? I prayed every four times a day for God to cure me miraculously or direct me to cure because I know there is. During outbreaks I thought it's the end of the world but it's not, with time I will become normal again. I started trying fruits and herbs, take herbal produced, and with time became very interested in herbs. I read blogs, websites, and comments on herbs and built a stronger hope. I saw comments and decided to try Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal meds. I know of one mr Brown who was HIV and now brags he was cured of HIV with Dr Utu traditional meds but never give it a thought because I believed HIV already has a cure and never think it through or make a research. And for herpes my doctor told me that there is no known cure. When I saw testimonies of his Herpes cure on sites. I copied his contact drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. I showed it to brown who confirmed it was Dr Utu contact. I contacted him immediately and he also prepared and sent me herbal herpes meds through DHL. Right after getting this traditional meds I followed the prescription cautiously and withing days I started noticing rapid change and I know within me it's the cure. I used it for up to two weeks and when my test result was out not only did this herbal meds cure me but boost my immune and I feel real and free. Dr Utu African Traditional meds have successfully cured Herpes, Warts, HIV, Cancers, Kidney Stone, Asthma, most importantly this traditional meds boost immune and have no after effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have Herpes in your whole body such as fever blisters, hsv, or roofing shingles you know what it is like to stay with the pain and discomfort that herpes delivers. I don't need to tell you how awesome it would be to find something that works so well that you no longer need to fear about stress or outbreak,Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my herpes in two weeks of taking it.is genuine and natural herbal medicine it has no side effect, The reason I'm writing this is that I promised Dr Itua I will share his herbal work to the world to see Herpes is no more a big deal.also Dr Itua can as well cure the following diseases...HIV,Hsv 1/2,Hepatitis B,Cancer, Diabetes, Men/Woman Infertility, Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Facator V Leiden Mutation , Lottery Spell,Copd, Shingles,Fibroid, Fibromyalgia, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry, Epilepsy, Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic Asthma. Here His Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp Phone.+2348149277976. I paid for his herbal medicine and sent it to me through Courier Service which I pick it urgently and used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS.
    HERPES.
    SYPHILIS.
    HEPATITIS A B and C.


    ReplyDelete