Thursday, August 20, 2020

Fighting ALS With Diet and Supplements

As a preface, I am not a doctor and am not claiming to cure, treat or diagnose any condition. The below citations and studies are simply for your information and consideration.
__________________________________

While ALS is generally viewed as a "death sentence," several people have claimed to stop its progression and even reverse some of its symptoms through diet and herbs.
__________________________________

1) Check out how Pam Bartha was able to recover from MS (similar to ALS) by treating underlying parasitic infections through Dr. prescribed anti-parasite medications. Note that Pam is not a vegan or a vegetarian, but eats whole foods and avoids processed sugars, grains, breads, etc. 


2) Ariel Belloso claims to have beaten peripheral neuropathy - a similar disease - on a raw vegan diet. "The weakness I felt through the muscles of my legs got so bad that at one point that it made standing up very difficult...At the same time, I noticed it was becoming increasingly more difficult to chew certain foods, especially meat. And just to remind you, the year was 2004 and I was eating the standard western diet" (Link).

After doing research online, Ariel changed his diet to a raw vegan lifestyle. "Four months into my new raw vegan diet, all my symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy were soon receding. I stopped feeling those electric shock pains, and my balance and coordination was fully restored" (Link).

3) "No Egg Craig" is a popular vegan Youtuber who beat a similar, but less severe, condition known as CIPD. This disease also attacks nerve cells and led him to being paralyzed in his bed. Craig says that a fully raw, vegan diet helped him overcome CIPD.

4) Anthony Quan has had ALS for 11 years now. "After being diagnosed with ALS, I soon found myself in a state of total paralysis, or as I called it, 'you’re totally f****, bro.' But I credit my diet of veganism and hardcore juicing with helping me to regain some control of my body" (Link).

Though Anthony is still mostly paralyzed, he's regained some movement in his limbs, which is nothing short of miraculous. Anthony also stays active painting with his eyes, using a technology that allows him to be creative even while in his bed.

5) Dr. Craig has had ALS since 1995. He says, "Most importantly, my breathing is way better than it was three years ago...I am not meaning to imply that a 100% raw foods diet is the best choice for everyone’s optimal wellness, although I have read enough that has me believing that those who would like to achieve the optimal wellness possible for them to consume a high alkaline diet that is at least 60-80% raw...I use avocado, an abundance of healthy oils and raw almonds as some of my nutrient dense strategies for maintaining weight." (Link).

"Daily [Dr. Craig] drinks lots of filtered alkaline water, juices, and eats a very clean mostly a raw food diet, with plenty of healthy fats and protein" (Link).

Things That Seem To Help

1) Treat Hidden Infections and Parasites - Veterinarians have known for hundreds of years that parasites and worms can cause debilitating neuropathy and eventual paralysis in animals (Link). Doctors are finally discovering that this is also true for humans: 

"Researchers at the University of California-Riverside have shown, for the first time, that infection from the common parasite Toxoplasma gondii disrupts neurotransmitter glutamate function in the brain, potentially leading to neuronal death and neurodegenerative diseases, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)" (Link). 

For fighting parasite infections naturally, check out my post HERE!

2) Take L- Serine - "Researchers have shown that, when treated with L-serine, a non-human primate model of ALS had fewer pathologies associated with the disease" (Link).

3) Focus on a whole foods, plant-based diet.



4) Lion's Mane - "Some research suggests that extracts of lion’s mane mushrooms may encourage nerve cells to grow and repair more quickly. One study showed that rats with nerve damage receiving a daily extract of lion’s mane mushrooms had quicker nerve regeneration than control animals" (Link).

5) Probiotics - "The study published in the journal Clinical Therapeutics found profound evidence suggesting that gut microbiota targeted with natural bacteria products successfully alleviated ALS progression in animal models" (Link).

6) ALA (alpha lipoic acid) - "Alpha-lipoic acid is an antioxidant and also a cofactor for mitochondrial enzymes. In a study with G93A/SOD-1 mice, ALA...showed a significant delay in onset of impaired motor performance, increased survival, and attenuated weight loss in treated mice compared to controls" (Link).

7) Beta Carotene - "The new study showed that people whose diets were higher in beta-carotene and lutein had a lower risk of developing ALS. Lutein is a type of oxygen-rich carotenoid called a xanthophyll, which is found in deep green vegetables like kale and broccoli" (Link). Since raw kale can lead to iodine absorption issues, I recommend adding some raw carrots to your morning smoothie for beta carotene. My favorite smoothie recipe is by the amazing medical doctor Brooke Goldner HERE.

Another study showed that "fruit consumption was negatively associated with the risk of ALS, but intake of beef, fish, and fast food were positively associated with the risk of ALS. In addition, the risk of ALS was negatively associated with intake of plant calcium and beta-carotene, while positively associated with intake of total calcium and animal calcium. Intake of vegetables and other antioxidant nutrients had no effect on the risk of ALS in the present study" (Link).

8) NAC - "Recently, Louwerse reported on a double-blind trial of NAC in 111 patients with ALS. Patients with limb onset but not bulbar onset of ALS had a 50% decrease in the one year mortality rate with NAC treatment" (Link).

10) Tudca - "Research has shown that TUDCA can decrease nerve cell death, a hallmark of ALS, through its ability to act as an antioxidant that prevents toxic reactive oxygen species from accumulating inside cells. The molecule also has the ability to control immune function" (Link).

11) Take wheatgrass. 

One animal study concludes, "Wheatgrass treatment ameliorated the oxidative damage of sciatic nerves by increasing the antioxidant enzymes SOD, Catalase, GSH levels and by decreasing the formation of TBARS in diabetic rat sciatic nerves" (Link).

Here are some personal testimonies about wheatgrass: 

"I have now completed two months of oral wheatgrass extract to see if the wheatgrass would be beneficial to my Multiple Sclerosis... I am astounded by how much energy I now have. I started to notice the change after about 3.5 weeks of taking wheatgrass, and my energy levels continue to increase. I am truly amazed." 

"I am SO happy with the improvement in sensation, and my hair and nails look GREAT! My skin is still really sore but I have much hope that will change soon" (Link).  

No comments:

Post a Comment